• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Wordpress Update Issues

This was one of the first things i had done before posting here, however i had changed the values in just the class-http.php fie to 20 instead of 5, now i have increased the values in both the files to 120, and i still have the same error.
I guess i will try eith the OpenDNS suggestion of @Emerson too and see if things get sorted out with that

Ok, let's take more steps backwards. Have you modified wp-config.php and enabled WP_DEBUG to see if you get a more detailed error when updating from the WP dashboard?

This is what i see in the debug log:

[12-Mar-2018 06:19:52 UTC] PHP Warning: An unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or this server's configuration.
If you continue to have problems, please try the <a href="WordPress.org Forums">support forums</a>. (WordPress could not establish a secure connection to WordPress.org. Please contact your server administrator.) in /var/www/vhosts/domainname.com/httpdocs/wp-includes/update.php on line 155

Ok, so I think we're going up the wrong tree trying to troubleshoot this. When talking about WordPress, cURL is basically a PHP library - so let's take a look at your PHP settings.

Can you create a phpinfo file and review the settings? Mainly, you should see cURL support as enabled and memory_limit being reasonable (maybe raise it a bit, I like atleast 512mb or higher). Let's also take a look at max_execution_time and raise that up a bit to make sure it's not giving up too quickly.

Let's see where that gets us.

Ok, so I think we're going up the wrong tree trying to troubleshoot this. When talking about WordPress, cURL is basically a PHP library - so let's take a look at your PHP settings.

Can you create a phpinfo file and review the settings? Mainly, you should see cURL support as enabled and memory_limit being reasonable (maybe raise it a bit, I like atleast 512mb or higher). Let's also take a look at max_execution_time and raise that up a bit to make sure it's not giving up too quickly.

Let's see where that gets us.

cURL support enabled
cURL Information 7.19.7
Age 3

max_execution_time 120
memory_limit 256M

this is what i have

Alright, that didn't really get us anywhere. How about plugins? Do you have any plugins that are used across all your sites?

Alright, that didn't really get us anywhere. How about plugins? Do you have any plugins that are used across all your sites?
These are used amongst most sites:
Addendio PLUS 1.1.0
WooCommerce 3.2.6
Google Map Embed 1.2.4
UpdraftPlus - Backup/Restore 1.14.2
WPForms Lite 1.4.3
Contact Form 7 4.9.2
WordPress Importer 0.6.3
WonderPlugin Carousel 7.2
Wordfence Security 7.0.5

These are used on more than site

Maybe the Diagnostic plugin can help with this.
Turn on "troubleshooting mode" that it basically will disable all plugins (or do it yourself) and enable you to activate one by one until you find where the culprit is !!

Ah, although your transcript was accurate, could you provide some plugin screenshots? This plugin if well used, is probably the key to solving your case.

One question, is your WAF on Plesk active? (If yes, try disabling it to find out if it is the cause of the problem)
I see a security plugin over there ... it sounds silly but you probably tried with it disabled, okay?

These are used amongst most sites:
Addendio PLUS 1.1.0
WooCommerce 3.2.6
Google Map Embed 1.2.4
UpdraftPlus - Backup/Restore 1.14.2
WPForms Lite 1.4.3
Contact Form 7 4.9.2
WordPress Importer 0.6.3
WonderPlugin Carousel 7.2
Wordfence Security 7.0.5

These are used on more than site

Kill Wordfence Security temporarily - I'm always suspicious of plugins like this. If that doesn't do it, disable all and see if it's fixed. You'll have to then play the enable one at a time game to find the culprit.

I made some prints of some information that I need and that could help us solve the problem. In the last print you can see how to activate the "troubleshooting mode". This will disable all plugins and gives you the option to activate one by one in the top bar of WordPress.
imagem1.png imagem2.png imagem3.png

One question, is your WAF on Plesk active? (If yes, try disabling it to find out if it is the cause of the problem)
I see a security plugin over there ... it sounds silly but you probably tried with it disabled, okay?
I had done that initially, as well as disabling the Firewall too, but then it was the same error. Will have to install the health-check plugin and see what it throws up.
I disabled WAF again, and still the same result

[root@myserver admin]# curl -vvv api.wordpress.org
* About to connect() to api.wordpress.org port 80 (#0)
* Trying 198.143.164.251... connected
* Connected to api.wordpress.org (198.143.164.251) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.19.7 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.19.7 NSS/3.27.1 zlib/1.2.3 libidn/1.18 libssh2/1.4.2
> Host: api.wordpress.org
> Accept: */*
>
< HTTP/1.1 302 Found
< Server: nginx
< Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 07:36:20 GMT
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
< Transfer-Encoding: chunked
< Connection: keep-alive
< Location: REST API Handbook | WordPress Developer Resources
< X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
<
* Connection #0 to host api.wordpress.org left intact
* Closing connection #0

It does connect on api.wordpress.org not sure whether secure connection is giving an issue

1. Which version of php are you using?
2. Does this issue happen on just a specific WordPress site or on everyone on your Plesk server?

Ok, let's take more steps backward. Have you modified wp-config.php and enabled WP_DEBUG to see if you get a more detailed error when updating from the WP dashboard?

However, as with any update, there is the possibility that certain portions of a WordPress site may begin to experience issues after an update is performed. This article guide was created to provide you with some troubleshooting solutions with this recent WordPress update.

However, please keep in mind that troubleshooting the configuration/functionality of third-party applications is not covered by our statement of support.

However, these resources were provided as a courtesy to assist you to the extent of our abilities.

To complete some of these troubleshooting steps you will need access to ONE of the following:

• WordPress Administrator Dashboard
  • SFTP/FTP
  • SSH

INSTRUCTIONS
Disabling Gutenberg
If you wish to revert to the Classic Editor, WordPress has provided a plugin for this option at Classic Editor

Updating all third-party applications
Update all plugins and themes to their latest versions. This can be done through the wp-admin dashboard or manually through FTP.
Clearing Caches
Re-saving your Permalink settings
Click on Settings. Then click on Permalinks.
Click on the Save Changes button.
This should help reset parts of the site (such as the .htaccess) which may be causing issues.

Disabling plugins
It is recommended to disable ALL the plugins at once, then check if the issue is resolved. If disabling all the plugins does resolve the issue, they can be re-enabled one at a time to narrow down the potential culprit(s).

Manual WordPress Upgrade
This applies particularly to sites that were updated automatically through a "1-click method". The upgrade can be re-done manually using FTP or SSH.

Restore using a backup
If you have a copy/backup of your site prior to updating to WordPress 5.0+, you can attempt to roll back your site temporarily (as it is recommended to maintain your websites on the latest version of WordPress).

Hi SamirM,

Thankfully, there is an easy fix when a plugin update fails. Simply FTP into your website (or use your web host's file manager) and navigate to the folder where WordPress is installed. Look for a file called ". maintenance" (notice the "." in the file name) and delete it from the server.

However, as with any update, there is the possibility that certain portions of a WordPress site may begin to experience issues after an update is performed. The troubleshooting of a WordPress sites is best handled by the developer who created the site

There few points you need keep in mind that need updating.

Core
– WordPress core is the backbone of your site. Just like a phone has an operating system (OS) like iOS or Android, the WordPress core is the OS of your website. Similar to updates for your phone’s OS, there are updates for your website’s OS as well. These updates happen at regular intervals and carry improvements such as security fixes, bug fixes or new features.

Plugins – These are additional components to your website just like apps are to your phone. They enhance the functionality of your site. From time to time, plugins on your WordPress site also need updates.

Themes – This reflects the layout and design of your website. WordPress has a few default themes such as ‘Twenty Nineteen’ or you can choose one developed by others. Whichever one you choose, it will see updates coming in.

The problem isn’t limited to regular security and maintenance release. Sometimes failed updates cause people to abandon updating their WordPress site. If you think for your website wordpress update is necessary but also you should be ready for the consequences. I hope this answer is might help. If you have more concerns you can check our in-depth WordPress security guide.

i get the following error when i add the data from the otehr server into the resolv.conf file:
"etc/resolv.conf" E212: Can't open usa today protonmail file for writing
Any clues to what I am doing wrong, I am logged in as the root user so i have the priviliges to write to the file, infact any file, just that this particular file doesnt allow it to be saved after writing
Curl timing out could be an indication of slow server responses. Does it give you the time?; typically timed out after Xms - where X is a number.

Last edited:
Back